WSSET is a non-profit organisation led by Saffa Riffat, Professor in Sustainable Energy and Head of the Institute of Sustainable Energy Technology at the University of Nottingham, UK. WSSET has played an important role in consolidating practical partnerships between academic and industrial organisations, as well as promoting sustainable development worldwide. The role of WSSET is becoming increasingly important as the world seeks to find solutions to issues related to climate change and its impact on the planet.
WSSET supports its members in the advancement of sustainable technologies in various ways:
- Bringing together industries and academic institutions worldwide through communication, co-operation, support and knowledge exchange;
- Promoting work on sustainable energy carried out by academic institutions and industry worldwide;
- Organising international conferences (e.g. SET international conferences) and workshops on the latest developments in the field of sustainable energy and encourage collaboration between researchers, scientists and industry from different countries;
- Publishing WSSET newsletters to promote innovative work carried out by universities and industry worldwide;
- Collaborating with publishers on high-quality journals such as the International Journal of Low Carbon Technologies and Future Cities and Environment
- Encouraging collaboration between industry and academic institutions of different countries through the organisation of special workshops/seminars targeting the need of various countries;
- Running events to address issues related to Africa and other developing countries such as the impact of climate change on energy, water and food supply;
- Encouraging high quality research and development work by giving WSSET Innovation Awards to top researchers;
- Assisting the commercialising of new technologies developed by universities and private individuals;
- Organising public engagement activities;
- Assisting industry and individuals to attract grants to develop new technologies.